The orangeacid Blog

FORMAT Submission Preview

If you’re from around Derby, or are especially into photography and live in England, you may have heard of the FORMAT festival.  It is a supposedly annual photography festival, based in Derby, England.  It took it break last year whilst the organizers had new premises built, but it’s back this year and it is the biggest yet.

I’ve been doing some stuff with QUAD, the festival’s organizers, for the past year or so.  As part of this I’ve been asked to contribute towards an exhibit in Derby Museum and Art Gallery during QUAD.  I’m working with a group of four, and together we have chosen the FORMAT 09 theme of ‘tension and suspense’ and have based our pieces around the sub-theme of masks.  Each photographer is creating a series of three images.  Here is an in-progress version of the final frame of my piece.

I uploaded it here because I wanted to gauge perceptions before I went further.  I showed this to the youth officer at QUAD and she was pretty disturbed by it.  I’m guessing the vibe that people get from this is going to be fairly varied according to the viewers’ attitudes and life-experiences.

This frame is actually a composite of two separate images.  Yes, Nat really is bound with duct-tape and stuck under a park bench. I took shots of Nat in multiple positions under the bench, and Phil in various positions on and around the bench.  This gave me a wide choice of positions to choose from for the final images.  Obviously this means that the shot above is actually a composite of two separate shots.  This is actually an easier process than trying to get both subjects to pose perfectly for the same picture, but did throw up some problems.

Firstly, although I shot this with the camera on a tripod with a remote shutter release, the flash – which was being held high above the camera on a coiled cord – pulled the camera in such a way that the images were slightly misaligned.  Much harder to fix was the differences in white balance, due to me forgetting to set manual white balance settings, and harder still was the variable output of the flash, which I had also forgot to set to manual.

But anyway, let me know what you think.

24 Comments »

1. she did say you were a genius after though, and me too!

Comment by natalion — February 5, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

2. Great shot, however I wonder if a different angle might be more interesting. It looks like you are going for
    a crisp, straight on in your face sort of crime scene shot. I might have tired this shot at an angle, from the
    foot of the bench with a diminishing depth of field, maybe only the bound feet showing. The horizontal bench cuts your shot in half. Keep up the good work, your “Natalie in the Snow” was amazing.

Comment by David — February 20, 2009 @ 3:35 pm

3. This has turned out to be the weakest photo actually, and I agree that this particular photo doesn’t hold together particularly well (although the revised version contains a Phil in the top left which balances it out a little more. However, the other photos wouldn’t really work from any angle except this because of the way Phil approaches the bench. The bench does cut the scene in half, but that is intentional – Phil approaches from the back and is visible only from the top of the bench, which is his domain, whilst Nat sits in the foreground with both halves being her personal space.

There were also some technical hitches… there was a really ugly bin to the right and cars parked on the left.

Comment by orangeacid — February 20, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

4. I am looking forward to the final version and wish you the best of luck at the exhibition.
    PS: Poor Natalie, I hope the theme for your next exhibition will be something like”Lollipops and Rainbows”!

Comment by David — February 20, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

5. Hi, nice posts there 🙂 thank’s for the interesting information

Comment by Mike — May 23, 2009 @ 9:29 pm

6. I want to find good pop music. Help me please.

Comment by Kalebarkab — June 9, 2009 @ 6:32 pm

7. hey I really like the version =) and I’m always checking all your and nats pics on flickr! I really love all your pics, they are so great! Hope you’re going to show us the final version of the one above!

Comment by Marie — June 30, 2009 @ 1:07 pm

8. I can’t find anything wrong with it as such, but I don’t think it has the elusive ‘wow’ factor. Working with that idea, though, I think you could easily create something awesome.

Comment by Jon M — October 1, 2009 @ 8:49 pm

9. Just realised I’m a bit late – didn’t know you posted this in Feb 🙂

Comment by Jon M — October 1, 2009 @ 8:50 pm

10. I write a comment when I especially enjoy a article on a blog or if I
    have something to contribute to the conversation.
    Usually it’s triggered by the sincerness displayed in the post I read.

And after this article FORMAT Submission Preview – orangeacid.net.
    I was actually excited enough to leave a leave a responsea response
    😉 I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s
    okay. Is it just me or do some of the responses appar
    lioke written by brain dead people? 😛 And, if you are postinmg
    at other sites, I’d like to keep up with everything
    new you have to post. Would you liust the complete urls
    of all your social pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?}

Comment by Ladies Sunglasses — October 7, 2014 @ 2:37 am

11. I am really satisfied to review this website posts which is composed of plenty of practical information, many thanks for giving the details.

Comment by youtube.com — October 30, 2014 @ 11:25 pm

12. This post will help the internet people for setting up new web site or even a weblog from start to
    end.

Comment by Yahoo — January 5, 2015 @ 7:51 am

13. fmvsggrakkmlotifndpsjnbeefcspaogtkob

Comment by 新作 N Y PROJECTS 8536 ボタンダウンシャツ 長袖シャツ☆メンズ長袖シャツ B系 お兄系 — October 2, 2015 @ 2:31 am

14. よく書かれた内容はあまりにもまれで、あなたの素晴らしいウェブサイトに時間と労力に入れていただきありがとうございます。

Comment by 2枚合わせ羽毛布団 デュエット 生成60サテン ポーランド産ホワイトダック9 — October 2, 2015 @ 5:33 am

15. !もう一度、あなたのブログを訪問しになるのは素晴らしいこと

Comment by 【送料無料】SONY VPL-FX500 ホワイト&グレー [液晶プロジェクタ(7000lm) 標準レンズセッ — October 2, 2015 @ 5:33 am

16. くそー、素晴らしいウェブサイト。私は実際にビンビンにこの出くわした、と私は私がした満足しています。私は間違いなく、より頻繁にここに戻って来るということです。私はここの記事に追加して、テーブルにもう少しを持って来ることがしたいが、ただ、現時点で私ができる限り多くの情報を吸収しています。私は感銘を受けて

Comment by 座面カバー(2P) 2個セット ワッフル地フィットタイプ 座面カバー 2個セット 2way — October 3, 2015 @ 7:54 pm

17. 類似。

Comment by 蓄熱式 エコ湯たんぽ nuku2 ぬくぬく キャラクター(リラックマ?コリラックマ) EW — October 3, 2015 @ 7:54 pm

18. しかしたくはこれは本当にこれがあると言います。お気に入りに保存| コンテンツ素材コンテンツ、

Comment by coloco(コロコ)カラー【パステル】XS ライム[TP] 【TC】〔首輪?リード〕【RCP】【hl1 — October 4, 2015 @ 11:40 am

19. こんにちは皆は、このウェブページが顕著であるので、被写体が拡大されている正確にどのようにあります。私も、私たちはすべてのトピックに意義を追加できるようにトピックにそれを維持することを好むだろうが応答のいくつかのように。

Comment by パナソニック 直管蛍光灯 「パルック プレミア」(20形 スタータ型?クール — October 5, 2015 @ 5:04 am

20. Panela@yahoo.com

Comment by 腕時計 レディース セイコー SEIKO セイコー5 SEIKO 5 自動巻き 腕時計 SYM758J1 クリスマス — December 9, 2015 @ 9:49 am

21. ありがとう。私は間違いなく確か言っあなたがしているあなたは何に同意します。 私はこのことについて話して話題 良い取引最近私の父とは、うまくいけば、これは彼が私の視点を参照することになります。指は交差しました!

Comment by Xperia Z3 ケース Xperia Z3 Compact Xperia Z1 手帳型ケース エクスペリアZ3 コンパクト エクスペリアZ1 — December 9, 2015 @ 11:17 pm

22. At this moment I am going to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming
    again to read more news.

Comment by Bali luxury villas for rent — December 11, 2015 @ 12:10 am

23. 私が持っている | に感謝感謝する | ショーを表現 | から私を救う私を救済 | だけのためのための situation. の結果 検索 | オンラインの世界と見 things 、私は信じ 私の生涯はないそのうちでした行わを超えます。 マイナス 既存 回答へ 困難 あなたの全体あなたの主を介して、によって|の結果として|を介してすべての選別|解決|解決|あなたは修正した| VEの投稿 重要なである場合、もの 否定的な方法で悪することを 破損した 私のキャリアではない、私は 発見 あなたのウェブサイト。 習得とで遊ん すべてのもの 重要バイタル|非常に便利|非常に役立ちます。 きただろう私は何を私は知らない 私があれば行って出くわす発見このようなスタッフこのような。私をレリッシュ この瞬間 私はまたすることができますそれが可能だのに私がすることができるしています未来。 このためのための | 非常にあまり 謝辞と効果的な ガイド。 私はしません私はしません 躊躇 のウェブサイト 誰人必要があります 問題。 単にに思った開発 {|私は

Comment by 腕時計 レディース セイコー SEIKO セイコー5 SEIKO 5 自動巻き 腕時計 SYMC04J1 クリスマス — December 11, 2015 @ 5:36 am

24. Please note that when you are taking numerous doses, there need to be a gap of at tthe veery least four hrs in between each
    meal ass itt will certainly assist your body take in the
    extract completely forr optimum outcomes.

Comment by www.byzhub.com — December 11, 2015 @ 5:02 pm